About a year and a half ago, after being pestered on a regular basis by my brother to “code this game for me”, I cracked open Unity and started playing around. Since then we’ve spent some of our spare time designing and coding a game currently code named From the Ford. It’s gone on long enough that it’s time to take the next step. As of May 1st I’ll be dropping to part time at work and dedicating at least two full eight hour days every week to the game.
The game looks a little rough right now, but it feels like a decent foundation to build on. With all of our grand ideas we might actually make something that ends up kind of cool. The plan is for it to be a mix of village building, strategy and survival in a fantasy setting. But who knows how it will end up.
As it stands the game has
- Villager AI
- Iguana AI (hurray free 3d models!)
- A sun that rotates the earth
- Saving/Loading (why didn’t I build this earlier?)
- Game time with pause/speed up/slow down
- Villager & building Inventory
- Buildings & Resources are built in a moddable way (simple enough that Arthur can add new resource types)
In a couple years I hope to come back and think “man, look how crappy the game looked back then!”